Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Innocent snap that sparked suspicion
2:00pm Thursday 14th March 2013 in News
A MAN who sparked concern after taking pictures of schoolchildren as they boarded a bus in Evesham has come forward and revealed he planned to use the photos as part of a campaign for a new bus shelter.
The Evesham resident said he was taken aback after reading the story in the Journal and realising his actions had caused such a stir. He immediately contacted both the British Transport Police and St Benedict’s Catholic School in Alcester, where the children were headed.
The man, who does not wish to be named, said: “ I was in the open in a public place, not hiding behind bushes. I called the police after the story and e-mailed the school to apologise.”
As reported last week, the incident, at 8.15am on Wednesday, February 27, was reported to police and to parents by the school.
The man said: “I had a camera in my pocket as I was speaking to a friend. I thought the situation was a good demonstration of how many people are using the station. It is the obvious place to have a shelter. The kids are having to hang around in the cold and wet.”
St Benedict’s has now contacted parents to let them know the incident was not as sinister as it first seemed.
A spokesman for the British Transport Police said: “Following the appeal a man has come forward. BTP officers will be speaking to him.”
County Councillor John Smith, cabinet member for highways and transportation, said the council was aware of the ongoing requests for a bus shelter and would see what they could do in the next financial year.