Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Evesham man dies three weeks after rescue from blaze
A CLOSE knit community is mourning the loss of a neighbour who has died three weeks after being rescued from a house fire by an heroic mother and daughter.
George Thomas Moir, known as Tom, was badly injured in the fire at his home in Heathfield Road, Norton, near Evesham, despite the brave rescue by Tracey Marriott and her daughter Lucy on August 12.
The 64-year-old, who suffered with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), sustained burns to his arm and smoke inhalation and was taken to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch.
He was later transferred to St Richard’s Hospice in Worcester where he died last Thursday.
His former carer Pam Dowdeswell, aged 65, also of Heathfield Road, said he would be missed by everyone in the area.
“It has always been a tight community here,” said Ms Dowdeswell. “In the summer he used to sit out the front of his bungalow and people would stop for a chat with him. He fitted in really well; an important part of the community. I was caring for him for just over three years. He was an outgoing person and loved company.
“He lived in the Vale for years. His last job was as a driving instructor. He liked his home and garden to look nice and he enjoyed going out for a drive and perhaps stop off for a bite to eat.
“I know he liked his holidays. He really liked Torquay, we went there several times.”
During the fire Mr Moir’s dog Lacey was rescued and is now living with Tracey Marriott and her family.
Ms Dowdeswell said Mr Moir was delighted to see Lacey when she took his pet to see him at the hospice. “He did dote on Lacey. He loved her. She will miss him and we will miss him.”
An inquest into Mr Moir’s death has been opened.
An investigation into how the fire started is ongoing.
Comments are closed on this article.