Report this comment
  • "Please can those who continually post malicious and incorrect comments about Mr Fullee stop, now! If you need to make comments about individual council officers, especially those not named in a news story, make sure you get your facts right and do some research first before you feel the need to express your views. I know Mr Fullee and he is a highways officer who works hard, is full of integrity and undertakes his duties with due diligence, and treats his colleagues and members of the public with respect.

    And to those blaming him for Abbey Bridge and the Whittngton roundabout, yes he was what was essentially the area highways manager for the Wychavon area but he was not responsible for these schemes, he only had a monitoring brief and an overview of what was happening, with capital schemes of this scale instead handled and delivered through different channels.

    When such misleading and malicious comments are posted, do these bloggers have any idea what affect it may have on those individuals? Because so many people believe what they read, these people's reputations are tarnished, with all their previous hard and good work undone in an instant and it's almost irrecoverable because people believe the false information they read. These staff who see their names mentioned become demoralised, and while many are thick skinned and can rise above the abuse, they are still affected mentally and physically and they do have a heart and can take such hatred towards them personally. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Fullee, or other officers who are mentioned in a similar vein, went off with stress or a nervous breakdown.

    And I suspect that those who continually tarnish the same highway officers time and time again probably do so because they didn't get what they wanted, or think they know it all and merely disagree with what these officers say and do, and therefore feel the need to try and destroy them personally and professionally."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Evesham's Abbey Bridge shut until last day of March

Evesham's Abbey Bridge shut until last day of March

Evesham's Abbey Bridge

Evesham's Abbey Bridge

First published in News
Last updated
Evesham Journal: Tom Edwards by , Political Reporter

EVESHAM'S Abbey Bridge will remain closed until the end of March, it has emerged.

In the last few minutes Worcestershire County Council has confirmed the repair work will carry on until an estimated completion date of Monday, March 31.

The news is a fresh blow for traders, residents and visitors to the market town, and follows previous delays which saw the original re-opening target of the start of December scrapped.

The bridge and viaduct was first closed in September last year for vital reconstruction work, and at the time assurances were made that it would re-open in time for the Christmas shopping rush.

But 22 days of work were lost due to bad weather, with wind gusts affecting a crane, and river flows being too strong for the river boats to work.

There were also technical issues with the arch supports to the bridge deck which compounded the delays.

Contractors Hochtief has now re-sequenced the work left, and says every effort will be made to beat the new target of March 31.

The remaining work includes the completion of the new concrete bridge deck and the adjacent viaduct deck, demolition of the old bridge arches, waterproofing of the complete structure, safety barrier installation, kerbs, re-instatement of service ducts, footpath construction, road surfacing, road markings and the commissioning of traffic signals.

Councillor John Smith, cabinet Member for highways and transporation and a politician in Evesham, said: "I've made it clear previously the delays to the re-opening of the Abbey Bridge and Viaduct are extremely disappointing and fall outside the agreement in place with the contractor.

"Myself, Sir Peter Luff MP, county council Leader Councillor Adrian Hardman and senior officers met with Hochtief's managing director just before Christmas to emphasise the importance of getting the link open as quickly as possible because of the impact it's having on the town.

"The contractor gave its reassurance that it understood the situation and would make every effort to get it re-opened as early as it could.

"This confirmation by Hochtief of the revised timetable of works and re-opening date will offer some clarity on the situation for the residents and traders of Evesham.

"We've impressed upon them the need for the programme to include measures that take into account the potential for adverse weather to ensure no further delays are encountered and assurances have been made this has happened.

"We totally understand the feelings of frustration people have because of the delays to the Abbey Bridge and Viaduct closure.

"The council will continue to do it all it can to support businesses until the link re-opens.

"The half-price bus fare offer to and from the town centre, which was due to finish at the end of 2013, will remain in place and we'll continue to work with Wychavon District Council to fund the parking discounts in its car parks.

"The diversion route will also continue to be manually controlled throughout the closure to aid traffic flows and reduce congestion.

"I've said it many times before but the sentiment remains the same.

"I'd like to thank everyone who is supporting our town and traders. I'm sure this will continue until this project is completed."

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree