No more paper tax disks

PAPER disks will no longer need to be on display in a vehicle as they are being scrapped from October this year.

As from October 1 drivers will no longer receive a paper disk when taxing their vehicle.

But the DVLA is keen to remind drivers they must still tax their vehicle.

Another change that will be introduced from the beginning of November is the option to pay the tax in instalments.

For vehicle tax starting from November 1, motorists will be able to pay vehicle tax by direct debit annually, biannually or monthly.

There will be no additional handling fees for annual payments but there will be a charge of 5 per cent of vehicle tax for biannual and monthly payments.

This is half the 10 per cent surcharge currently applied to six monthly tax discs.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:16pm Thu 26 Jun 14

mrwrighty says...

Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it.
Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it. mrwrighty
  • Score: -4

8:09pm Thu 26 Jun 14

sequencer says...

Always best to check the source to get the full low down:-

https://www.gov.uk/g
overnment/news/vehic
le-tax-changes

There are other changes especially that when you buy a vehicle, the tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle.
Always best to check the source to get the full low down:- https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/news/vehic le-tax-changes There are other changes especially that when you buy a vehicle, the tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. sequencer
  • Score: 5

8:09pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Hugh Wattmate says...

About time. No need MrWrighty we have number plate scanners these days. If you are out driving an untaxed car there is an extremely good chance you will pass a police officer running one, or though a drive in fast food takeout, perhaps a shopping centre carpark. Most these have ANP (auto numberplate scanning) now.

Because of these auto scanners the police never check a tax disc anymore they have no need. Once you are pulled over they already have your details on screen if your car is taxed, insured and who the registered keeper (the driver) should be.

If you ping on a scanner as no tax you get a fine in the post, if you have not taxed or SORN or scrapped the car again auto fine in the door.

It's been like this for years now but within the last few years number plate scanners have become common place.

You know even some traffic wardons dont even walk anymore they just sit around with a camera on the carpark.

Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything.
About time. No need MrWrighty we have number plate scanners these days. If you are out driving an untaxed car there is an extremely good chance you will pass a police officer running one, or though a drive in fast food takeout, perhaps a shopping centre carpark. Most these have ANP (auto numberplate scanning) now. Because of these auto scanners the police never check a tax disc anymore they have no need. Once you are pulled over they already have your details on screen if your car is taxed, insured and who the registered keeper (the driver) should be. If you ping on a scanner as no tax you get a fine in the post, if you have not taxed or SORN or scrapped the car again auto fine in the door. It's been like this for years now but within the last few years number plate scanners have become common place. You know even some traffic wardons dont even walk anymore they just sit around with a camera on the carpark. Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything. Hugh Wattmate
  • Score: 9

9:46pm Thu 26 Jun 14

New Kid on the Block says...

sequencer wrote:
Always best to check the source to get the full low down:-

https://www.gov.uk/g

overnment/news/vehic

le-tax-changes

There are other changes especially that when you buy a vehicle, the tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle.
Nice little earner there for the Government.
You sell a car, you don't get a refund for the current months tax but the new owner has to pay again. So every time a car is sold there is an extra months worth of tax paid to the Government.
The only way round it appears to be if you transfer ownership at midnight on the last day of the month.
[quote][p][bold]sequencer[/bold] wrote: Always best to check the source to get the full low down:- https://www.gov.uk/g overnment/news/vehic le-tax-changes There are other changes especially that when you buy a vehicle, the tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle.[/p][/quote]Nice little earner there for the Government. You sell a car, you don't get a refund for the current months tax but the new owner has to pay again. So every time a car is sold there is an extra months worth of tax paid to the Government. The only way round it appears to be if you transfer ownership at midnight on the last day of the month. New Kid on the Block
  • Score: 4

8:53am Fri 27 Jun 14

Hwicce says...

mrwrighty wrote:
Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it.
When did you last see a Policeman bother to check a tax disc (or anything else for that matter)?
[quote][p][bold]mrwrighty[/bold] wrote: Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it.[/p][/quote]When did you last see a Policeman bother to check a tax disc (or anything else for that matter)? Hwicce
  • Score: 5

12:32pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Lord Newbold says...

Is this another attempt to save administration cost?
Alternatively, is it to help those who are vehicle tax dodgers?
Whatever, the reasons they will make no difference to those of us who will pay our dues and demands when they are required.
Without a disc, being displayed for (easy validation) how are members of the public able report tax disc fraudsters. When several vehicles within an area are gathering (Travelling fraternity), we will only be in a position to assume. Presently we have a rule that states you have 5 days to produce your documents at a station of your choice. Again, this is only viable to persons who are resident in any particular area. To our travelling fraternity this means an extra few days before they have to move. However, to the law abiding of us it means another trip to a police to show your documents.

I am not sure who is responsible for this, yet have they not had the gumption to realise when we paid our monies we will require a receipt. Which this disc was proof of payment. In addition, could have been our receipt.
Is this another attempt to save administration cost? Alternatively, is it to help those who are vehicle tax dodgers? Whatever, the reasons they will make no difference to those of us who will pay our dues and demands when they are required. Without a disc, being displayed for (easy validation) how are members of the public able report tax disc fraudsters. When several vehicles within an area are gathering (Travelling fraternity), we will only be in a position to assume. Presently we have a rule that states you have 5 days to produce your documents at a station of your choice. Again, this is only viable to persons who are resident in any particular area. To our travelling fraternity this means an extra few days before they have to move. However, to the law abiding of us it means another trip to a police to show your documents. I am not sure who is responsible for this, yet have they not had the gumption to realise when we paid our monies we will require a receipt. Which this disc was proof of payment. In addition, could have been our receipt. Lord Newbold
  • Score: 6

1:36pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Tobster says...

Hugh Wattmate wrote:
About time. No need MrWrighty we have number plate scanners these days. If you are out driving an untaxed car there is an extremely good chance you will pass a police officer running one, or though a drive in fast food takeout, perhaps a shopping centre carpark. Most these have ANP (auto numberplate scanning) now.

Because of these auto scanners the police never check a tax disc anymore they have no need. Once you are pulled over they already have your details on screen if your car is taxed, insured and who the registered keeper (the driver) should be.

If you ping on a scanner as no tax you get a fine in the post, if you have not taxed or SORN or scrapped the car again auto fine in the door.

It's been like this for years now but within the last few years number plate scanners have become common place.

You know even some traffic wardons dont even walk anymore they just sit around with a camera on the carpark.

Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything.
Hugh Wattmate:
"Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything."

I'd like to make a quick correction; you will be issued with a speculative invoice. A private company runs that car park, and the same is true for Aldi over the road (The notorious 'Parking Eye' of whom I've personally had three run ins with and beaten them on each occasion). Private companies CAN NOT FINE PEOPLE!

http://www.moneysavi
ngexpert.com/reclaim
/private-parking-tic
kets
[quote][p][bold]Hugh Wattmate[/bold] wrote: About time. No need MrWrighty we have number plate scanners these days. If you are out driving an untaxed car there is an extremely good chance you will pass a police officer running one, or though a drive in fast food takeout, perhaps a shopping centre carpark. Most these have ANP (auto numberplate scanning) now. Because of these auto scanners the police never check a tax disc anymore they have no need. Once you are pulled over they already have your details on screen if your car is taxed, insured and who the registered keeper (the driver) should be. If you ping on a scanner as no tax you get a fine in the post, if you have not taxed or SORN or scrapped the car again auto fine in the door. It's been like this for years now but within the last few years number plate scanners have become common place. You know even some traffic wardons dont even walk anymore they just sit around with a camera on the carpark. Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything.[/p][/quote]Hugh Wattmate: "Take ASDA in Worcester, the moment you enter your number plate is scanned after 3hs if you have not left you get a fine in the post no guys walking around checking car or anything." I'd like to make a quick correction; you will be issued with a speculative invoice. A private company runs that car park, and the same is true for Aldi over the road (The notorious 'Parking Eye' of whom I've personally had three run ins with and beaten them on each occasion). Private companies CAN NOT FINE PEOPLE! http://www.moneysavi ngexpert.com/reclaim /private-parking-tic kets Tobster
  • Score: 9

3:40pm Fri 27 Jun 14

mrwrighty says...

Hwicce wrote:
mrwrighty wrote:
Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it.
When did you last see a Policeman bother to check a tax disc (or anything else for that matter)?
OK may be, but say I hire a car, I am responsible for that car when I'm driving it. How do I know it is taxed if I don't have visible proof. Does this mean I have to request proof from the hire company, all this is doing is passing the requirement to prove the vehicle is legal onto the hire companies and businesses with pool cars and company cars.
[quote][p][bold]Hwicce[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mrwrighty[/bold] wrote: Not sure of the logic with this, the Tax disc is a visual reminder and traffic wardens and police can easily check for expired VED. Will it save money, I doubt it.[/p][/quote]When did you last see a Policeman bother to check a tax disc (or anything else for that matter)?[/p][/quote]OK may be, but say I hire a car, I am responsible for that car when I'm driving it. How do I know it is taxed if I don't have visible proof. Does this mean I have to request proof from the hire company, all this is doing is passing the requirement to prove the vehicle is legal onto the hire companies and businesses with pool cars and company cars. mrwrighty
  • Score: 6

3:45pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Rita Jelfs says...

Lord Newbold wrote:
Is this another attempt to save administration cost?
Alternatively, is it to help those who are vehicle tax dodgers?
Whatever, the reasons they will make no difference to those of us who will pay our dues and demands when they are required.
Without a disc, being displayed for (easy validation) how are members of the public able report tax disc fraudsters. When several vehicles within an area are gathering (Travelling fraternity), we will only be in a position to assume. Presently we have a rule that states you have 5 days to produce your documents at a station of your choice. Again, this is only viable to persons who are resident in any particular area. To our travelling fraternity this means an extra few days before they have to move. However, to the law abiding of us it means another trip to a police to show your documents.

I am not sure who is responsible for this, yet have they not had the gumption to realise when we paid our monies we will require a receipt. Which this disc was proof of payment. In addition, could have been our receipt.
What's wrong with reducing admin costs - these are scarce taxpayer funds - remember - what the MPs were 'rorting'? Do members of the public really go around looking for tax disk fraudsters? Oh, I get what you mean by 'travelling fraternity' - you mean the current scapegoats on the Tories radar? Lord Newbold, you need to read more carefully what you were told by Hugh Wattmate. But my receipt is sent in the mail within a few days of paying electronically, or at the PO for the disc. An electronic bank record (or cheque) for those of us still in the 19th century, is the receipt. Why would another trip to the police be necessary when they have all the electronic records on file?
[quote][p][bold]Lord Newbold[/bold] wrote: Is this another attempt to save administration cost? Alternatively, is it to help those who are vehicle tax dodgers? Whatever, the reasons they will make no difference to those of us who will pay our dues and demands when they are required. Without a disc, being displayed for (easy validation) how are members of the public able report tax disc fraudsters. When several vehicles within an area are gathering (Travelling fraternity), we will only be in a position to assume. Presently we have a rule that states you have 5 days to produce your documents at a station of your choice. Again, this is only viable to persons who are resident in any particular area. To our travelling fraternity this means an extra few days before they have to move. However, to the law abiding of us it means another trip to a police to show your documents. I am not sure who is responsible for this, yet have they not had the gumption to realise when we paid our monies we will require a receipt. Which this disc was proof of payment. In addition, could have been our receipt.[/p][/quote]What's wrong with reducing admin costs - these are scarce taxpayer funds - remember - what the MPs were 'rorting'? Do members of the public really go around looking for tax disk fraudsters? Oh, I get what you mean by 'travelling fraternity' - you mean the current scapegoats on the Tories radar? Lord Newbold, you need to read more carefully what you were told by Hugh Wattmate. But my receipt is sent in the mail within a few days of paying electronically, or at the PO for the disc. An electronic bank record (or cheque) for those of us still in the 19th century, is the receipt. Why would another trip to the police be necessary when they have all the electronic records on file? Rita Jelfs
  • Score: -2

5:13pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Jabbadad says...

There is no logic in this mad-cap scheme, and less protection for the members of the public who did use the tax disc as evidence of a road fund license having been paid, and will increase those who have no Tax to take a risk to drive without the proper documents..
Makes as much sense as many of the Mad-cap schemes coming from this Out-Of-Touch government..
There is no logic in this mad-cap scheme, and less protection for the members of the public who did use the tax disc as evidence of a road fund license having been paid, and will increase those who have no Tax to take a risk to drive without the proper documents.. Makes as much sense as many of the Mad-cap schemes coming from this Out-Of-Touch government.. Jabbadad
  • Score: 6

6:32am Sun 29 Jun 14

Rita Jelfs says...

Jabbadad wrote:
There is no logic in this mad-cap scheme, and less protection for the members of the public who did use the tax disc as evidence of a road fund license having been paid, and will increase those who have no Tax to take a risk to drive without the proper documents..
Makes as much sense as many of the Mad-cap schemes coming from this Out-Of-Touch government..
I'm no apologist for the Government, but this 'mad-cap" scheme is used internationally. The same protection is provided by an issued receipt, and the electronic records available to the Police ( to check via their vehicle recognition system on-board). If, as you say, no disc will increase tax avoiders to risk driving without the need of a disk, (which they do with out-of-date disks anyhow), they will be scanned in other places, and are much more likely to be quickly picked up. So police can be spending their time, chasing up offenders, rather than the less efficient method of trying to visually check tax disks. Make sense?
[quote][p][bold]Jabbadad[/bold] wrote: There is no logic in this mad-cap scheme, and less protection for the members of the public who did use the tax disc as evidence of a road fund license having been paid, and will increase those who have no Tax to take a risk to drive without the proper documents.. Makes as much sense as many of the Mad-cap schemes coming from this Out-Of-Touch government..[/p][/quote]I'm no apologist for the Government, but this 'mad-cap" scheme is used internationally. The same protection is provided by an issued receipt, and the electronic records available to the Police ( to check via their vehicle recognition system on-board). If, as you say, no disc will increase tax avoiders to risk driving without the need of a disk, (which they do with out-of-date disks anyhow), they will be scanned in other places, and are much more likely to be quickly picked up. So police can be spending their time, chasing up offenders, rather than the less efficient method of trying to visually check tax disks. Make sense? Rita Jelfs
  • Score: 2

11:25am Sun 29 Jun 14

jankersjoe says...

No doubt money saved by not issuing tax discs will be passed on to drivers in the form of a reduced licence fee.Or maybe not.
No doubt money saved by not issuing tax discs will be passed on to drivers in the form of a reduced licence fee.Or maybe not. jankersjoe
  • Score: 0

5:51pm Sun 29 Jun 14

DarrenM says...

Another stealth tax increase, they're hoping everyone will switch to monthly direct debit, so when road tax goes everyone will just go 'ah its only an extra £1.50 a month" rather than £18 a year etc, and the great unwashed will think its marvellous. That combined with the all extra tax money they now get to keep because you can't transfer tax when you sell a car, and you can only claim back tax by the month....

Its lucky that the sale and supply of number plates is so well regulated that there's no way to go on the internet to a well known auction site for example and just buy any number you like , perhaps even substituting an M for an N for example to give plausible deniability...
Another stealth tax increase, they're hoping everyone will switch to monthly direct debit, so when road tax goes everyone will just go 'ah its only an extra £1.50 a month" rather than £18 a year etc, and the great unwashed will think its marvellous. That combined with the all extra tax money they now get to keep because you can't transfer tax when you sell a car, and you can only claim back tax by the month.... Its lucky that the sale and supply of number plates is so well regulated that there's no way to go on the internet to a well known auction site for example and just buy any number you like , perhaps even substituting an M for an N for example to give plausible deniability... DarrenM
  • Score: 2

9:25am Tue 1 Jul 14

Lord Newbold says...

Rita Jelfs,

M/s. Jelfs,
I was referring to requiring receipt for the monies you surrender for the right to be legally on the highway with a motor vehicle. While the police may have access to equipment than can search anyone records (Somewhat Like George Orwell’s “Big Brother”) I am like many others unable to verify that I have handed my hard earned cash over the counter at a post office. I require some proof that I have paid my dues and demands. So while the government and its crazy scheme are cutting administrations cost at the Vehicle licensing centre. What will be the cost of issuing a receipt for payment? My current tax disc, lets everyone know that I have paid my fee without the police or anyone else having to use some more expensive means to discover my vehicle is legal.
Rita Jelfs, M/s. Jelfs, I was referring to requiring receipt for the monies you surrender for the right to be legally on the highway with a motor vehicle. While the police may have access to equipment than can search anyone records (Somewhat Like George Orwell’s “Big Brother”) I am like many others unable to verify that I have handed my hard earned cash over the counter at a post office. I require some proof that I have paid my dues and demands. So while the government and its crazy scheme are cutting administrations cost at the Vehicle licensing centre. What will be the cost of issuing a receipt for payment? My current tax disc, lets everyone know that I have paid my fee without the police or anyone else having to use some more expensive means to discover my vehicle is legal. Lord Newbold
  • Score: -2

11:46am Tue 1 Jul 14

Rita Jelfs says...

Lord Newbold wrote:
Rita Jelfs,

M/s. Jelfs,
I was referring to requiring receipt for the monies you surrender for the right to be legally on the highway with a motor vehicle. While the police may have access to equipment than can search anyone records (Somewhat Like George Orwell’s “Big Brother”) I am like many others unable to verify that I have handed my hard earned cash over the counter at a post office. I require some proof that I have paid my dues and demands. So while the government and its crazy scheme are cutting administrations cost at the Vehicle licensing centre. What will be the cost of issuing a receipt for payment? My current tax disc, lets everyone know that I have paid my fee without the police or anyone else having to use some more expensive means to discover my vehicle is legal.
I don't get you? If you hand you money over at the PO, you get a paper receipt, yes? If you pay over the phone directly to the Registration people, you use your credit card, which is then recorded by the electronic system, and a receipt automatically generated, yes? So this is a cheaper and more efficient process to administer. Technological progress is cheaper than paying police to chase licence defectors, instead of big crims. Its progress all the way around. Just have to get used to it.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Newbold[/bold] wrote: Rita Jelfs, M/s. Jelfs, I was referring to requiring receipt for the monies you surrender for the right to be legally on the highway with a motor vehicle. While the police may have access to equipment than can search anyone records (Somewhat Like George Orwell’s “Big Brother”) I am like many others unable to verify that I have handed my hard earned cash over the counter at a post office. I require some proof that I have paid my dues and demands. So while the government and its crazy scheme are cutting administrations cost at the Vehicle licensing centre. What will be the cost of issuing a receipt for payment? My current tax disc, lets everyone know that I have paid my fee without the police or anyone else having to use some more expensive means to discover my vehicle is legal.[/p][/quote]I don't get you? If you hand you money over at the PO, you get a paper receipt, yes? If you pay over the phone directly to the Registration people, you use your credit card, which is then recorded by the electronic system, and a receipt automatically generated, yes? So this is a cheaper and more efficient process to administer. Technological progress is cheaper than paying police to chase licence defectors, instead of big crims. Its progress all the way around. Just have to get used to it. Rita Jelfs
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree