Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Man set himself on fire by accident
8:00am Wednesday 20th June 2012 in News
A MAN has escaped with only light burns after pouring petrol on a bonfire to “get it going” – setting fire to himself and a set of patio doors in the process.
The fire brigade were called to a house in Honeybourne, near Evesham, about 4pm on Sunday, June 3 – while the Jubilee celebrations were in full swing.
Fire station commander Phil Griffiths said a man had “tried to get his bonfire going using some petrol but as he poured the fuel from the canhis clothes caught fire, causing him to drop the can and the fire to spread to the patio doors nearby.
“Fortunately, the man had a fire extinguisher and a garden hose to hand which he used on himself to put out the fire.”
He suffered relatively minor burns during the incident and was treated by paramedics at the scene.
Fire crews used one hose reel jet to extinguish the garden fire which resulted in significant damage to the patio doors at the back of the house.