At the July monthly meeting, the members were treated to a one-man show starring John Stevens – Dream Shed Theatre Company ‘His Letters’. John’s performance in this play was nominated for best actor 2014 at the Buxton Fringe. His Letters is an excellent example of story-telling that explores family relationship and how we interact with people once they are gone. The performance was enjoyed by all, sometimes moving, at times funny enhanced by John Stevens’ clear voice and perfect timing.

‘His Letters’ started with songs by Gracie Fields and Flanagan and Allen setting the scene for a wartime episode when Ray’s (our story teller) mother Joyce was evacuated to Swindon where she met Alfred and his brother Arthur, who she eventually married. They tried for a baby with extra ‘love-ins’ with no luck as Arthur had to go to America for a few months and when he returned he was delighted to find they had been successful and Raymond, their ‘little miracle’ was born.

Johnny Ray’s ‘If your sweetheart sends a letter of goodbye’ heralds Christmas lunch. Raymond, now an adult, is asked ‘when are you going to find yourself a girl or are you one of those other people?’ Raymond assures his father he is not one of those other people but is happy with his own company. He is left to clear up the kitchen and his mother phones to tell him his father has died when he arrived home and was sitting in his armchair. ‘Should we cover him with a blanket?’ asks Raymond ‘Why’ answers his mother ‘he is not a budgie!!’. An example of Joyce’s way of dealing with death.

After a short while Joyce had a slight stroke and liked to discuss her funeral arrangements with Ray ‘Don’t have a wreath saying MUM in chrysanthemums or I will come back and haunt you!’. She had a second stroke and died.

Ray was not sure whether to live in the family home but couldn’t face sleeping in his parents’ room and the kitchen had not been updated since the 50s. He receives a letter from the solicitor and when he opened it another letter fell to the floor. He recognised the writing – it was from his mother. ‘Dear Ray, if you are reading this letter then I am dead. I want you to do something for me – there is a loose floorboard under the lino in my bedroom where you will find a box of letters. Please get rid of them as I don’t want anyone reading them. I hope I will be somewhere nice and it is not too hot. I also hope I do not have wings because of my asthma!’

‘What will I find? Was I adopted? Why didn’t they tell me?’ Ray found the loose floorboard and unearthed a box full of letters and cards.

October 1939 letter from Nanny Terson to mother

Birthday cards with pressed flowers and Christmas cards from ‘A’

Letter from ‘A’ saying he had bad cold after getting wet while Arthur, Albert and Joyce were standing in the rain watching the Queen’s coronation.

Letter from ‘A’ saying he would like to spend more time with Joyce and Ray as they had such a good time at the zoo.

Letter from ‘A’ asking if Joyce had a postcard from the Big Apple. Ray now realises that ‘A’ is his uncle Albert and not his father. Did his father know?

Letter from ‘A’ when he was dying – ‘Remember everything we did, we did for love and I know deep down Arthur knew about it.’

Ray looked through the photograph albums and found a snap of him at the zoo with his father holding his hand but realises it is his uncle not his father as Arthur was not a touchy person and Albert was really gripping his hand.

‘Mum, I am going to ask a company to clear the house. I will keep your little green box and your Johnny Ray records and if I can find it, the elusive photograph of me and Dad holding hands.’

The next meeting in Tuesday 15 August at 1415 at Wulstan Hall with a talk entitled ‘Solo Walk across Africa’ by Mr Fran Sandham, editor of Rough Guide

JACKIE PEEK