THE sun has shone for three weeks, temperatures have reached 30 degrees, hopes have been raised for a possible great summer after so many years of disappointment but now, as I write this, the thunderstorms have arrived.

By the time you read this you will know if this was just a minor interruption in our glorious summer or indeed if it signalled its end.

Thunderstorms are amazing natural phenomena. There are about 1,800 thunderstorms taking place at any one moment on our planet.

Each one on average has the power of 50 atomic bombs. It’s common sense then that we don’t take them lightly – standing on an open golf course, club waving above head, is probably not the most sensible situation to be in during a storm.

But, of course, they are also one of the greatest free shows on earth. I can remember as a child being encouraged by my father to sit with him on the step of our front porch to watch a powerful storm as he would explain to me about lightning and thunder. He always comes to mind during storms because I know now that he was teaching me not only the mechanics of a storm but more importantly that I need not be afraid of them.

He was there to take care of me after all.

I am fortunate not just to have had a wonderful dad, but to have a wonderful heavenly Father too.

If you feel that your life is going though a storm at the moment and you feel afraid of the outcome, can I just encourage you to bring your fears to your heavenly Father? Get talking to Him, get close to Him, get to know His presence in your life. He can take away the fear, He can provide the comfort you seek. He’s very close, just a prayer away. As close as sitting on that step with my dad.

ROB SILK, Chipping Campden Baptist Church