Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Stratford Market Reports
8:00am Monday 2nd April 2012 in J-L
STRATFORD MARKET REPORT FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 20: More sheep forward in all departments today, with plenty of demand as numbers elsewhere continue to ease. The SQQ for the 120 hoggs in the weight range was 204.59 p/kg and all in (262) averaged 190.96 pence. We have a consignment of ewes with lambs at foot booked in for Tuesday, April 3, alongside our Easter Store Cattle Sale. Please remember that the gates are open from 6.30am, why not beat the queues later and get here early. If you have any entries please speak to Brian Pile on 07778 970628 or James Sealy on 07753 895716.
• Old Season Lambs, 262 sold: A much increased entry to that of last week, with no Standards forward today. Mediums sold to 210p averaging at 204.59p, up almost 10p/kg on last week. The heavies sold to 200p returning 189.65p, the 52kg + lambs sold to 186p. Top price p/kg this week was 210p to TH & R Gibbs for Texel lambs 43 kgs. £s per head went to new vendor JE Bury for Charollais Lambs 56.5kgs.
• Cull Ewes and Rams, 48 sold: Ewe numbers up this week with barren ewes coming forward as some farmers finish lambing, selling from £14 to £99 to average all in £69.49. Top prices this week to A Cook for both Suffolks and Continentals, £80 to K J Ryland for Continentals and A Cook’s & L Stroud’s Suffolks.
• Store Lambs, 8 sold: Just a handful of stores as many farmers clear the last of their old season lambs, selling to £67 for a pen from L Stroud & Son.
• Cattle: We will have Store Cattle the 1st Tuesday in April – Entries Please, 60 head already entered.
Catalogues available from the Market Office.
• STRATFORD MARKET REPORT FOR TUESDAY MARCH 27: Numbers continue to dry up which has seen a lift in the trade; we will next week see our first show of Spring Lambs. The SQQ for the 67 hoggs in the weight range was 211.06 p/kg and all in (109) averaged 198.17 pence. We have a consignment of ewes with lambs at foot booked in for Tuesday, April 3, alongside our Easter Store Cattle Sale.
• Old Season Lambs, 109 sold: Numbers have started to dry up, with no Standards forward today.
Mediums sold to 215p averaging at 211.06p, up almost 10p/kg on last week. The heavies sold to 195p returning 190.64p, the 52kg + lambs sold to 169p. Top price p/kg this week was 215p to DH & BD Minett for several pens of Continental lambs from 41 to 44kgs. £s per head also went to DH & BD Minett 44½kgs Charollais.
• Cull Ewes and Rams, 42 sold: As lambing draws to a close just a few barren ewes today, selling from £30 to £100 to average all in £74.32. Top prices this week to A North & Sons for Scotch Halfbreds, Charollais from E Hutchings £95.
• Store Lambs, 4 sold: Thorneycroft Farms Ltd sold a handful of Cade Lambs to £10.
• Cattle: We will have Store Cattle on Tuesday – entries please! 60 head already entered. Catalogues available from the market office.