Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Murdoch accepts 'share' of blame
Former News International executive chairman James Murdoch has accepted his "share" of the blame for not uncovering phone hacking at the News of the World sooner, but denies turning "a blind eye" to allegations of criminal wrongdoing.
He made the denial in a letter to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, published on Wednesday.
Mr Murdoch found himself at the centre of the scandal when it was claimed he was told that phone hacking was more widespread at the paper than was originally admitted.
He said in the seven-page letter: "I did not know about, nor did I try to hide, wrongdoing.
"Whilst I accept my share of responsibility for not uncovering wrongdoing sooner, I did not mislead Parliament and the evidence does not support any other conclusion."
He went on: "Clearly with the benefit of hindsight, I acknowledge that wrongdoing should have been uncovered earlier. I could have asked more questions, requested more documents and taken a more challenging and sceptical view of what I was told, and I will do so in the future.
Mr Murdoch's departure from leading the UK newspaper arm of his family's empire was widely seen as a way of distancing himself from the scandal.
He had been noticeably absent at Mr Murdoch snr's launch of the Sunday publication of The Sun days before the announcement.
News Corporation said James Murdoch's departure would allow him to focus on expanding the company's international TV businesses.
Now based at the company's headquarters in New York, he remains News Corporation deputy chief operating officer and keeps responsibility for BSkyB.