AN extraordinary 2-2 draw between Guildford City and Evesham United saw five players sent off in Calor Southern League Division One South and West.

Hosts Guildford finished with eight players at the Spectrum Stadium and Evesham nine in a match that did not contain one bad tackle.

After James Vercesi gave United a 13th-minute lead with his third goal in two games, the fun and games began soon after. Evesham loanee Ed Williams was first to take an early bath when, on the advice of an assistant, he was shown a straight red after tangling with Bruce McPhail just outside the box.

From the resulting freekick, Ben Walsh levelled the scores with a well-struck finish.

Evesham went off the boil and fell behind when striker Kevaughn Ward fired The Sweeney 2-1 ahead on 38 minutes.

Leading up to half-time, red cards were then brandished by referee M Lucie to United defender Allton Axton and Guildford’s Anthony Bridgeman for an off-the-ball incident spotted by his assistant.

A quiet opening to the second period burst into life when United pulled the score back to 2-2 on 62 minutes.

Substitute Lance Smith was tripped in the box by last man Elvis Defreitas, who was subsequently sent off, and Robins skipper Richard Mansell stepped up to blast home the resulting penalty.

Guildford were reduced to eight men when Lucie produced a second yellow card for Darren Stapleton after a nudge on Elliott Kennedy.

For the final 20 minutes, Evesham bombarded the Guildford goal but a combination of poor finishing and near misses prevented the Robins from snatching a late winner. When the home defence was breached in stoppage time, City keeper Antony Hall made an excellent full-length save to prevent the lively Smith from finding the net.

The Robins included new signing, keeper Louie Barnfather from Bishops Cleeve, on the bench.

Evesham: Bateman, Tambling, Mansell, Barnfield, Dovey, Axton, Kennedy, Davis, Brown (Palmer 68), Vercesi (Smith 60), Williams. Subs not used: Millard, Botfield, Barnfather.

Attendance: 78.