Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting EJ NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
G4S 'gave staff pledge last month'
Private security firm G4S told the Home Office it would be able to resolve its problems supplying Olympic guards last month, Theresa May said on Friday.
On a tour of the Olympic Park's security centre, the Home Secretary said G4S, the world's second largest private sector employer, told officials that any problems were temporary and would be resolved.
"In early July it was clear that there were some initial problems which G4S said they would resolve," Mrs May said. "And crucially it was not until July 11 that G4S finally said, 'Actually we can't resolve those initial problems, we won't be able to provide the personnel'."
She went on: "I haven't been at all selective. What I've been is absolutely clear with the House of Commons and others about how these things developed."
Asked what the Home Office was told at a meeting with G4S and Olympic organisers Locog on June 27, Mrs May said: "What happened was there were some early signs of a problem with rostering staff for G4S.
"It was clear that G4S felt they were capable of dealing with that, that it would be resolved, and it was on July 11 as the chief executive of G4S told Parliament, the home affairs select committee, that G4S said, 'Actually, we now believe we cannot produce the staff we were contracted to produce'."