A DRUG dealer who did a bunk from prison and went on the run for eight months was arrested with a false passport while on his way to Euro Disney.

David Cruse admitted possession of an identity document, a British passport in someone else’s name, with an improper intention and being a temporary release prisoner who was unlawfully at large.

The 30-year-old was arrested on his way to France on July 7 after absconding from an open prison.

Cruse had been jailed for eight years and seven months for conspiracy to supply class A drugs on May 1, 2015.

Charles Hamer, prosecuting, said Cruse was incarcerated at HMP Sudbury but was given a temporary licence, leaving the prison at 8am on November 18 last year with the understanding he would return at 6pm the same day.

Mr Hamer said: “He did not return and his absence was therefore reported to the prison governors and police were notified. He remained unlawfully at large until July 7 this year.”

He was arrested at the ticket office at the Eurotunnel Folkestone Terminal with Martin Doran and cash had been paid (£202) for a ticket to Calais.

Mr Hamer said details of a BMW with false plates had been provided with the true plates found in the back of the car. Police have not yet identified the registered keeper of the car.

Both men were detained. Cruse, of Cleeve Prior caravan site in Evesham Road, Cleeve Prior, had someone else’s passport, his only form of identification. This was the passport he intended to travel using said Mr Hamer.

Cruse answered no comment to questions.

Cruse has 15 convictions for 23 offences including assault, fraud, criminal damage, possession of controlled drugs of class B and C and conspiracy to supply a class A drug.

Eugene Hickey, defending, said Cruse had made three transfer requests from prison, all of which had been refused.

He said: “This is, on one interpretation, an incredibly foolish act. He had received an eight-year prison sentence but was an exemplary prisoner enhanced at an early stage and had gone on a number of training courses to get himself qualified in bricklaying and maths. He was in an open prison with three months left (to serve). It’s a very, very surprising act to take.

“There were concerns expressed by the family – and by him – that if he returned (to prison) he would either be harmed or get in a fight or in self-defence would end up getting in trouble himself.”

Mr Hickey said the father-of-five had been at the same address for eight months and, though he did not hand himself in, did not hide either. “He was expecting someone to knock on the door and the police never attended.

“My instructions are that he was going on a trip and he was coming back. It was a trip to Euro Disney” said Mr Hickey.

Judge Nicolas Cartwright said before he passed sentence he wanted to adjourn the case so evidence could be obtained of correspondence, including any complaints the defendant had made to the prison, concerning his apprehension about coming across various people in custody.

“If he doesn’t take the opportunity he can’t rely upon my accepting his basis of plea,” said the judge.

Cruse was remanded in custody until September 28.