AN Evesham man has admitted assaulting a motorist in a road rage incident on the A46.

Andrew Niblett was ordered to compensate the victim for the incident that took place on Friday, September 28.

Nicola Ritchie, prosecuting, said at around 4pm that evening Niblett and the victim had been driving along the dual carriageway, which had heavy traffic along it that day.

Miss Ritchie said there was a small collision between their vehicles, with Niblett's vehicle going into the back of the victim's car.

Miss Ritchie said when the victim got out to inspect the damage, Niblett made comments to the victim including "do you want this", and repeated them, as if to start a fight.

Miss Ritchie said when the pair were outside their vehicles, the 68-year-old then punched the victim in the face with his right hand.

She explained the victim flinched when the punch was thrown, so his glasses went flying and the victim was left with a small cut to his nose and bruising.

Miss Ritchie said: "When the complainant realised he tried to look for his glasses, but the vehicles were holding up traffic in the road.

"The glasses were never recovered."

Amer Hussein, defending, explained the incident had come about because Niblett had been cut up on the road.

"The two lanes become one - it is at a point drivers on the outside push in," Mr Hussein said.

"That is what happened here. Mr Niblett was one of the cars patiently waiting in a queue of traffic, with the complainant on the outside.

"There was a collision - but my client has heard nothing from his insurance company.

"Afterwards both got in their cars and drove away. There were only minor injuries.

"He has pleaded guilty at the first opportunity. He has no previous convictions.

"It was unusual behaviour for him."

Mr Hussein added it was not uncommon for drivers to get angry on that section of the road, due to the layout.

Sentencing him, chairman of the magistrates Harris Marcou said he had given Niblett credit for his early guilty plea, but was ordering him to pay £150 in compensation, including to cover the costs of the lost glasses.

Niblett was also fined £60, and told to pay costs of £135 and a victim surcharge of £30 - a total of £375.

Niblett, of Burford Road, Evesham, agreed to pay the amount in full, within 28 days.

The case was heard at Worcester Magistrates Court on November 1.