HEREFORD boss Pete Beadle believes his team played well against Westfields, despite failing to break down their cross-city rivals.

After all the build-up and a capacity crowd of 1,825 at allpay.park, neither side could score in the August Bank Holiday Monday derby clash.

It means that both teams go into September in the

bottom half of the Midland Football League Premier Division table.

“I thought we played well again,” said Beadle. “We created chances, but I think a draw was a fair reflection of the game and a fair result because we both had chances to win.

“But we’ve got two teams in Hereford that played for their club and put everything on the line.

“They played football in the right manner, which made for an interesting game and a very entertaining goalless draw.”

Beadle added that he was not surprised that Westfields played well.

“Every game we have played has had the same sort of temperament as a derby game,” he said.

“When teams come to us, we’re their cup final so there is more intensity from them and we’ve played teams who have really stepped up their game.

“We’ve had to match that, which I think we’ve done for the most part, we’ve just been punished for some poor defensive displays.

“There were lots of nerves around the ground because it meant so much to everybody, but both teams did their clubs proud.

“Everyone expects us to perform well and we did.”

Some supporters were desperately looking for tickets after the last few were sold at 1pm.

But three workers at the nearby Heineken plant managed to get a bird’s-eye view of proceedings while perched on some silos.

Nathan Hughes had a great chance to score for Hereford in the seventh minute, but Westfields goalkeeper Matt Gwynne saved.

Shortly after, Jamie Cuss shot wide for the hosts before Bulls striker John Mills saw his shot saved.

Three minutes before half-time, Westfields right-back Mike Tambling hit the crossbar from 25 yards out.

Harvey Rivers kept Hereford in it with a great save to deny Brad Birch in the 56th minute before Pablo Haysham rounded Gwynne, only for the ref to deem the Bulls striker had fouled.

Westfields manager Sean Edwards hopes Monday’s derby draw against Hereford will help his team push on.

“What pleased me is that we kept going at the end because

there were a few tired legs,” said Edwards.

“The main thing is that we’re starting to play like a team again because we’ve been a bit disjointed recently.

“I think expectations for ourselves are higher than what we have achieved.

“It’s about getting lads match-fit and hopefully we can

push on."

Edwards added that a draw was a fair result considering the number of chances both sides had.

“I thought both goalkeepers were outstanding and both

defences were strong,” he added.

“It was a good local derby.”

Left back Kane Kahaki had to change his shirt early in the game after sustaining a wound to his head before he was clattered by Hereford’s Sam Gwynne.

Some supporters felt that Gwynne was lucky to escape

with just a yellow card, but Kahaki said he had no complaints about the decision.

“He did catch me a little bit, but it’s up to the ref,” said