A CAR dealership mechanic who had downed six or seven cans of lager lost his job after he was caught drink driving at two and a half times the limit.

Percival Jackson of Apple Tree Road, Pershore, admitted driving with excess alcohol when he appeared before magistrates in Worcester on Thursday.

The 43-year-old got behind the wheel of his Ford Fiesta in Vine Street, Evesham on September 5 this year during what his own solicitor called 'an episode of pointless self-harm'.

Emily Clewer, prosecuting, said Jackson was reported by another motorist who observed the car being driven ‘somewhat erratically, breaking the speed limit for the road and travelling too close to parked cars’.

Jackson failed the roadside breath test while the lowest evidential reading was 89mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, well over the legal limit of 35mcg.

In interview he told police he had drunk ‘six or seven cans of Carling lager at home’ and parked the car after he noticed he was swerving in the road. He was of previous good character.

Richard Hull, defending, said Jackson had lost his job as a result of what happened but added: “References speaking really very highly of him from a local car dealership” he said.

Mr Hull added: “He was a mechanic and had a good job. In an act of inexplicable self-harm he was at home drinking. He drank several cans and decided to drive to Evesham. He wasn’t meeting any friends. There was no reason for him to do it. It seems to be an episode of pointless self-harm.”

He said his client had been on antidepressants since the age of 21, the age he lost his mother to cancer. “He lost his father to cancer when he was 30,” he added.

“Trying to get a job in as a mechanic when you live in Pershore is nigh on impossible. Without a licence he’s going to find it very difficult to work” said the solicitor.

Jackson would have to sign on from universal credit from the day of the hearing. Mr Hull asked the magistrates to bear in mind Jackson’s full admissions in interview and that he had not prevaricated in any way.

Mr Hull added: “He’s deeply remorseful for his actions and the consequences of his actions as they rest upon his wife. In his words he hasn’t touched a drop since this incident.”

Magistrates banned him from driving for 22 months, ordered him to pay a fine of £120, a victim surcharge of £34 and a contribution to costs of £135.