Evesham RFC climbed to the top of the table after a monumental 34-0 win at home to Nuneaton Old Edwardians.

In a match that pitted first against second, it was the side from Blind Lane that emerged victorious in the pouring rain.

The win sees Evesham reach top spot in the Midlands 2 West (South), the highest league position in club history.

Evesham Journal: Andy Robinson en route to scoring. Photo: Roland BaileyAndy Robinson en route to scoring. Photo: Roland Bailey

Evesham set the tone early on, winning a penalty following a powerful scrum as captain Andy Robinson found touch on Nuneaton’s 22.

Fred Hopper won the ball from the lineout cleanly to set up Evesham’s first back line attack of the game.

A clever miss-pass from Mike Diston helped the ball find its way to find its way to Robinson who burst through the defence to score.

Evesham continued to pile on the pressure, scoring again before the quarter-hour mark.

After stretching the defence, a series of quick carries from the forwards eventually led to Jake Smith who powered his way over the line, shrugging off at least four defenders in the process.

Diston converted both tries and added a penalty to give the hosts a 17-0 lead.

After half an hour of dominance, Nuneaton finally began to show glimpses of the ability that led to them claiming top spot in the first place.

With flanker Rich Clarke yellow-carded for a high tackle, Evesham relied on some resilient defending to keep Nuneaton off the score sheet as the half drew to a close.

Evesham Journal: Jake Smith crashing over the line. Photo: Roland BaileyJake Smith crashing over the line. Photo: Roland Bailey

Much like in the first half, Evesham came on to the field explosively after the break.

After winning a scrum in Nuneaton’s 22, scrum-half Finn Breach was able to shift the ball right to Dom Berry, who made good ground before offloading it to Robinson who drew in his man before unloading man-of-the-match Wilf Watson for an easy score.

In desperate need of a score the visitors pressed high, pressure that eventually led to Evesham going down to 13 men with both Ashley Icke and Kieran Court yellow-carded.

However, Evesham’s defence remained strong and with ten minutes left to play the hosts were able to extend their lead, Diston providing a successful penalty kick.

Restored to 15 men with just minutes remaining, Evesham went on the hunt for a bonus point and they found it courtesy of Berry.

Diston converted both second half tries, a perfect day from the tee.

Evesham travel to ninth-placed Old Coventrians on Saturday as they look to secure top spot heading into Christmas.