A PAEDOPHILE who sexually assaulted a boy in his own bedroom has been jailed for eight and a half years.

Gary Piggott, 39, was found guilty by a jury of the attacks on the 12-year-old boy in Evesham and sentenced at Worcester Crown Court last Friday.


Police swoop at Worcester court as man is arrested

Malvern armed siege - man may end up living in tent

The sentence will include an extended licence period to reflect the gravity of the sexual assaults and a sexual harm prevention order lasting 18 years was also made.

This will restrict his contact with children upon his release from prison. He must sign the sex offender register for life.

He denied a series of sexual assaults against the child who cannot be identified. However, he was found guilty on all six counts by a majority jury verdict of 10-2.

Piggott of Lupin Walk, Evesham was convicted of two assaults of a child under 13 by penetration on May 30, 2020; three charges of sexual assault against the same complainant on the same date and causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity. All offences took place in Evesham in the early hours of the morning.

The boy told officers: "He touched me inappropriately. He did inappropriate things."

He explained that Piggott touched him sexually and performed a sex act upon him.

The victim said Piggott first came into the room and said 'hi' and apologised for waking him up.

During the interview he described how the defendant left the room but returned several times to carry out the alleged assaults, also climbing into bed with him.

In the video interview, he said Piggott had tried to turn him over. The complainant said: "I'm trying to pretend to be asleep. To be in deadweight mode."

Afterwards, he said Piggott told him: "Don't tell anyone. Promise me."

Simon Foster, prosecuting, said: "He made him promise using the 'pinky promise'."

When the defendant was arrested, the boy's allegations were put to him. "He said it didn't happen. He said none of it was true" said Mr Foster.

"At first I thought it was just a nightmare," the victim said in his recorded interview.

However, when he woke up he said the bedroom door was open. He added: "I knew it wasn't a dream because I always shut the door. It's part of my routine."