CHAOS at the Champions League final has been slammed by a Worcestershire MP.

Nigel Huddleston, MP for Mid Worcestershire, who is the Sports Minister, is among those demanding an investigation into the scenes which transpired before the match between Liverpool and Real Madrid on Saturday.

Fans of the Merseyside clubs with tickets to the match were made to wait in huge queues outside the Stade de France as French police used tear gas, causing the kick-off to be delayed by half an hour.

Huddleston took to Twitter to share his thoughts on the situation.

He wrote: “We are very concerned about the upsetting scenes around the Stade de France last night and shall be working with the appropriate authorities to find out what happened and why.

"It is yet to be explained why access to the Stade de France was so limited which led to some @LFC fans, including the young and elderly, being attacked with tear gas and unable to reach their seats.

“A full and urgent investigation must be launched by @UEFA and French authorities.”

Evesham Journal: Kick-off had to be delayed due to the chaos outside the ground. Picture: PA WireKick-off had to be delayed due to the chaos outside the ground. Picture: PA Wire

Merseyside Police observers say that the majority of supporters had behaved in an “exemplary” manner as tear gas was used on fans waiting at the fence of the stadium.

The gas was then reportedly used again at the fan zone after the match, which Liverpool lost 1-0.

UEFA said the delays in getting into the stadium were caused by “thousands of fans” with fake tickets with the Paris police prefecture adding that these supporters “employed strong force” in an attempt to gain entry.

“The rapid intervention of security forces allowed calm to return and helped remove the disruptors from the surroundings of the Stade de France,” a force statement read.

France’s sports minister Amelie Oudea-Castera echoed these sentiments, blaming ticketless fans for the chaos.

“What happened, first of all, was this mass gathering of the British supporters of the Liverpool club, without tickets, or with fake tickets,” Oudea-Castera told French radio station RTL.

“A certain number of youths from the nearby area who were present tried to get in by mixing in with the crowd.”

It is understood the UK ambassador to Paris has contacted the French Ministry of Interior directly urging an investigation.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: “Our consular staff are supporting individuals who have been affected by the events in Paris, and are in touch with local authorities.”

Liverpool said the entry issues at the Stade de France and the breakdown of the security perimeter were “hugely disappointing”.