A warning issued by the fire service has urged Worcestershire people to guard against potential electrical failures this festive season.

The Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is advising caution, not to let electrical issues set your world blaze, especially during Electrical Fire Safety Week, which began on Monday.

The ongoing increase in living costs may make small, inexpensive space heaters look an efficient way to warm rooms, with some products starting at only £10.


Read more: Allegations of neglect or abuse of adults in care in county


However, selecting an unsuitable appliance just to save some money could prove quite costly.

The charity Electrical Safety First reported that electrical faults and accidents account for over half of all domestic fires in England annually, with adults often ignoring an electrical recall notice.

The reasons being inconvenience, not wanting to go without a "luxury" product, or underestimating the risk of still using the product.

Head of Prevention at HWFRS, Emma Roberts said: "Electrical equipment is an inescapable part of all our lives, from essentials like heating and lights to luxuries like entertainment systems or beauty products.

"Numerous accidental fires begin with an electrical appliance, so it's really important that your electrics are in top-notch condition and used properly.

"This year, I'd urge people not to go for low-cost portable heaters, putting price above safety."

She added: "If you're buying online, make sure you buy from a trusted retailer, either direct from the manufacturer's website or a well-known High Street name.

"That way, if something goes wrong, you can return the product for repair or a refund.

“Shoppers can also check a product’s status at Electrical Safety First’s free ‘Check It Out’ site, identifying third party sellers on popular online retailers and helping make an informed buying decision. Find out more at www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/check-it-out/."

She finally cautioned: "Remember, if a bargain seems too good to be true, it most probably is."