THE sister of Evesham RFC's Jack Jeffery has paid tribute to her "beautiful baby brother" after the 27-year-old died following an injury sustained scoring a try in a local rugby match last weekend.

Mr Jeffery was injured whilst scoring a try during Evesham's Midlands 2 West (South) fixture with Berkswell & Balsall on Saturday afternoon.

He was taken to University Hospital Coventry afterwards but died later that day.

Sister Daisy posted an emotional message on her Facebook page, saying: "My beautiful baby brother, I can’t even believe I’m having to write these words.

"It was just a simple game of rugby, like any other Saturday doing what you loved most.

"You scored an amazing try but just one accidental tackle and you never got back up. I’m so sorry they couldn’t save you.

"And I’m so sorry I had to kiss you goodnight in that hospital bed."

Jack's father Glenn Jeffrey also posted on Facebook, saying: "It is with great sadness that I need to let you know we lost our beloved son Jack yesterday."

"Jack passed away doing the thing that he loved the most, playing rugby. Jack was the most kind hearted, generous and beautiful son who enriched the lives of everyone who was lucky to know and have met him.

"He will be so missed by his family and friends.

"Speaking on behalf of my family, can I say thank you to everyone who has contacted us today and sent us such kind thoughts and lovely words.

"This truly means so much and is a comfort to us in these very difficult times. It is so clear to us that not only will Jack be missed by his close family but also by everyone that he knew and came into contact with.

"He was a very special soul and we are so proud to say he was our son. Bless you Jack, shine on xxx."

A club statement from Evesham RFC about the tragedy read: "It is with immeasurable sadness that we have to report the tragic loss of our beloved Jack Jeffery following our Seniors League fixture at Berkswell and Balsall yesterday, February 12.

"Jack was adding another try to his phenomenal record and during the act and subsequent challenge of scoring he was injured.

"He was taken to Walgrave Hospital where he tragically lost his fight."

They added: "A more committed, loyal ‘Clubman’ is hard to find. He would often return from London for training and was always at the heart of club activities.

"He served his club, his teammates and the county with distinction and provided much satisfaction to the club supporters in knowing exactly where the whitewash was.

"As a club, we have been overwhelmed by the messages of support and goodwill from the rugby community. Jack was calm, respected and highly thought of.

"Our club and community have lost such a bright light."