THE dismissal of Nathan Summers had Evesham United boss Paul Collicutt hankering for the good old days on Saturday.

The Robins defender was given a straight red card by referee Simon Brown in the build up to half-time against Blackfield & Langley, a match Evesham went on to win 2-1 with nine men after Tyrone Tucker-Dixon had to be withdrawn through injury.

Collicutt questioned the ferocity of the foul and Brown’s call which will leave Summers banned for three matches starting with the trip to Slimbridge in Southern League Division One South a week on Wednesday (7.45).

“It happened near to the dugout and to give him a straight red was a big decision for the referee to make,” said Collicutt.

“These days you’re not allowed to tackle. Football is a contact sport, in my day a good old 50-50 would wake up a few people. It would become very competitive and the crowd would love it.

“The likes of Nobby Stiles, Dave Mackay, Tommy Smith and (Ron) Chopper Harris would not last a week or two with some of the refereeing decisions in this day in age.

“It was a foul and I would not have argued with a booking but Nathan did not deserve a straight red.

“I tried to speak to the referee at half-time but he refused to and said he would have the conversation as we went back out to the pitch.

“He said my lad had flung himself at theirs. It was right in front us of us, a matter of metres away and there was no way I could see it the same way.”

To their credit, Evesham rallied and added to the one-goal advantage earned just before the red card with Nick Humphreys notching his first goal in red and white with 15 minutes to go.

“We got through to half-time and told the lads what we expected,” said Collicutt

“People tell you it can be a lot harder playing against 10 and we made that the case. Our energy levels were good.

“Their first shot on target was the goal so we kept them at bay for more than 90 minutes and did well defensively.

“Everyone added something. It was very much a team effort and I think that was the most pleasing thing.

“Nick came off the bench to score a good goal and has shown an exemplary attitude.

“I rested him the other week and Will Tunnicliff did exceptionally well so Nick found himself out of the side but he has just got on with it.

“That breathing space he gave us was much needed. There is only so much you can do a man light and it delivered that lift at just the right time.

“The last five minutes felt like a very long time. They went route one, which I would have done in the same circumstances, and we had to really dig in.

“With 10 men we did exceptionally well. With nine it became very hard but we had something to hold on to.

“If we had 11 players out there I think we would have kept the clean sheet. That was the only disappointment because we deserved to keep them out but I was pleased we managed to see through a very nervy last few minutes.”