MANAGER Paul Collicutt had no qualms over the "ugly" victory that ended a seven-match winless streak on home soil.

Joe Turley's second-minute strike was enough for a 1-0 success over Paulton Rovers on Saturday to finally end a 12-week wait for the sweet taste of success at the Jubilee Stadium.

It followed on from two triumphs on the road to keep Evesham right in the thick of the Southern League Division One South play-off places but the boss was content to focus on home comforts.

“I was just pleased to get the win at home at last,” said Collicutt.

“It was the first clean sheet of the season at our place as well and even though we have played an awful lot better than we did on Saturday and lost games this season, I think we owed ourselves a result.

“We probably played our better football in the first half, they came into it in the second but there were some good, solid performances from our boys.

“It is the first time this season we have scored so early in a game and it was a really good goal.

“We won ugly but I will take that all day long. The lads dealt with everything Paulton could throw at us.

"It was probably the first time this season I had managed to name the same backline for two or three games in a row and that was telling.

“They are starting to create an understanding and it didn’t surprise me that we ended up getting a clean sheet on the back of that.

“There have been times we have come off feeling like we had been the better side but ended up getting beaten. It is not often we win ugly like that so that was perhaps something new for us."

  • LES Jones celebrated his first league win as Pershore Town manager on Saturday with a 2-1 success over Hereford Lads Club.

Town netted twice in the opening 20 minutes and held out despite Jordan Williamson halving the deficit from all of 30 yards midway through the second half.

Pershore remain at the foot of the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division table six points from safety ahead of Saturday’s trip to fourth-placed Wolverhampton Casuals (3pm) – the team that won 5-0 at King George V Playing Fields in the League Cup on November 13.