MANAGER Paul Collicutt watched Evesham United roar back from behind to rack up the club’s biggest win since March 2016 and declared: “There is room for improvement.”

Ex-Robins striker Ashley Edenborough notched the opener against his old club but Kane Simpson’s four-goal haul was complemented by efforts from siblings Kye and Cory as well as defender Shayne Anson’s stunning lob across goal in first-half stoppage time.

It marked United’s biggest winning margin since trouncing no-hopers Bashley 7-0 at the Jubilee Stadium on March 8 2016 and best away victory since achieving the same scoreline at Bash in February 2015.

The match had been open and even until last knockings of the first half which saw United go into the break 4-1 up.

Highworth enjoyed a spell of pressure for 10 minutes after the interval but ruthless visitors picked them off as confidence drained.

Edenborough beat Evesham keeper Andy Hannah to a through ball and rounded him to tuck into the empty net.

United had been rocky at the back but bright going forward and warranted the leveller when Kye Simpson was needlessly brought down by Leon Morrison with Kane Simpson slamming home the spot-kick.

Kane Simpson fired in a precise free-kick from the left edge of the box and then scooped up a rebound from Nick Hancock's angled drive across goal late in the first half.

There was still time for Anson to latch on to a clearance from a corner and lob across goal from the right corner of the 18-yard box despite a defender being stationed on the post.

Chances came and went from set pieces for Highworth but Evesham remained bullish on the break with the impressive Marley Thomas stroking out to Cory Simpson on the left to drive low across keeper Connor Johns.

Kye Simpson drove towards the right of the box and forced inside Johns’s near post for number six with Kane Simpson bundling in the last goal from Carl Brown’s centre.

Put to him the final score had been harsh on Highworth, a magnanimous Collicutt replied: “I would agree with that, you have to remember we went 1-0 down as well.

“My keeper made a mistake that was very unlike him but we responded very well.

“It is a good result and hard to criticise when you have just won a game like that.

“In fairness to us we have created chances throughout the 90 minutes and ended up scoring seven goals so how can you criticise?

“It could have been more. Cory missed an absolute sitter in the first half, blazing it over from six yards out but he responded, as did all of the lads.

“It was pleasing, I would like to think the lads have put out a bit of a statement which was what I asked for at half-time.

“I told the players I wanted more and in fairness to them they did just that. But even having won the game 7-1, there is definitely room for improvement and that’s exciting.”

The other flashpoint came way before the goals when Cory Simpson was booked for a sixth-minute lunge on Wayne Turk.

“They were shouting for a red card but I felt a yellow was sufficient,” said Collicutt.

“That said, I have been in the position where lads have been sent off for less.

“It would have been a different game had we gone down to 10 men but football has a way of evening these things out.”

Highworth: Johns, Else, Morgan, Turk (Beer, 73), Morrison, Taylor, Sidibi, Morris, Edenborough (Greveson, 83), Wood, Grabe (White, 71). Unused subs: none.

Evesham: Hannah, Dovey, Wellon, Turley, Anson, Harding (Williams, 56), Thomas (Brown, 73), Hancock, Kane Simpson, Kye Simpson, C Simpson (Davidge, 67). Unused subs: Tunnicliff, Davies.

Attendance: 179.