EVESHAM United played out their first goalless draw of the season on Boxing Day.

Fellow promotion hopefuls Cirencester Town visited the Jubilee Stadium in Southern League Division One South but there was no separating the sides.

The visitors went close but so did the Robins with Paul Sullivan hitting the bar on 22 minutes before Lee Chilton’s follow-up header was cleared off the line.

Home centre-half Brad Maslen-Jones was the supporters’ man of the match as his side kept their second successive clean sheet after the 2-0 win at lowly Barnstaple Town on December 21.

Robins forward Sullivan fired a well-struck shot over from the edge of the area in the seventh minute after Harry Franklin’s cross was only half-cleared.

Cirencester headed over a fine chance from just five yards five minutes later but Evesham went even closer through Sullivan and then Chilton.

The Gloucestershire side failed to make the most of another opportunity on 25 minutes with a weak shot from 15 yards.

The Robins searched for an opener before half-time but Chilton’s effort was blocked.

Another close-range headed chance for Cirencester flew over 12 minutes into the second period.

It was Evesham’s turn to miss the target on 70 minutes when Brian Smikle’s curler towards the bottom corner went just wide after a move involving Maslen-Jones, Sullivan and Franklin.

The final whistle signalled the goalless draw, leaving Evesham in fourth place ahead of the New Year's Day action with no weekend fixtures.

The Robins visit Slimbridge in the league on Wednesday before welcoming Larkhall Athletic to the Jubilee Stadium on Saturday (both 3pm) with both sides also challenging for the play-offs.

The rest of the January league fixtures see Carl Abbott’s side head to Paulton Rovers on January 11, host Cinderford Town on January 18 and travel to Winchester City on January 25.

Evesham: Brown, Roberts, Smikle, Paddock, Maslen-Jones, Sangha (Cresswell), Franklin (O’Neill), Bragoli, Sullivan, Chilton, Page (Basford). Subs not used: Staten, Chamberlain.

Attendance: 243.