WORCESTER Warriors lifted their first ever major trophy as they overcame London Irish by virtue of tries scored in a pulsating Premiership Rugby Cup Final at the Brentford Community Stadium.

Kyle Hatherell scored an 84th minute try to level the scores at 25-25 to send the final to extra time and after a scoreless period of twenty minutes, in which Irish's Paddy Jackson missed four penalties, Worcester won having scored more tries (3 vs 1).

Warriors twice went over the line in the first-half, either side of Ben White's try, through Matt Kvesic and Perry Humphreys to lead 18-16 at the break.

Jackson kicked his 20th point of the match to make the scores 25-18 in the second-half before Hatherell's late, late effort and Fin Smith's conversion sent the tie to extra-time.

Penalty after penalty came the way of the home side but Jackson could not convert and eventually Worcester thumped the ball out of play to spark jubilant scenes.

Irish took the lead early on through the boot of the Irishman but that was soon cancelled out when Smith kicked a 40-metre penalty of his own.

Matt Kvesic then sniped around the fringes with the Irish defence napping to score the first try and give the visitors the lead.

Irish were struggling to make their attack click but another Jackson three-pointer reduced the deficit to seven.

But Irish rallied and scrum-half White found a gaping hole in the Worcester defence to go in unopposed and level proceedings.

Jackson dissected the uprights once more to nudge the hosts back ahead but despite momentum seemingly with them, Worcester scored right on the stroke of the half as Smith floated a delightful 20 metre pass out to Humphreys, who dived over in the corner.

Into the second-half, it looked like Worcester had the perfect start but Ted Hill's try was ruled out by the TMO after a knock-on in the build-up.

Irish went back ahead through Jackson's penalty in the 47th minute and then Jackson maintained his 100% record with another three pointer to stretch the lead to four points just before the hour.

The fly-half scored his 20th points of the game in the final quarter to make it 25-18 but Hatherell scored in dramatic fashion with 84 minutes on the clock after Warriors pummelled away at the line for five minutes.

Smith kicked the conversion and the game was all square. Extra time.

It was a nervy period but discipline failed Worcester much as it did throughout the game but Jackson's kicking boots seemed to have deserted him.

Smith also passed up the opportunity to give Warriors the lead but having scored three tries to Irish's one, they knew if the scores stayed the same they would win the cup.

Jackson twice could have won it for Irish but the groans told it's own tale and as time ticked away, hopes grew amongst the raucous Worcester support.

And their celebrations could be heard from a mile away at the full-time whistle as Wayne Barnes brought an end to a game of the ages at the Brentford Community Stadium.