Evesham United’s disappointing start to 2023 continued as they fell to Hamworthy United at the weekend.

A late goal from Michael O’Regan created a nervy ending but ultimately Hamsworthy’s early double earned the hosts all three points.

The result means the Robins have picked up just one point from a possible nine in the league this year.

It took just 15 minutes for Hamworthy to break the deadlock.

Evesham shot-stopper Edward Brearey was able to keep out the head of Harvey Wright, with the ball unfortunately falling to Max Wilcock who slotted home in front of the 208 in attendance.

Four minutes later and the home side doubled their lead.

Drew Eccott-Young caused trouble on the right-hand side of the pitch before delivering a ball towards the front post and the awaiting Cam Munn, who poked the ball home with a tidy finish.

The Hammers had the chance to make it 3-0 with just over an hour played.

Another ball into the box from Eccott-Young found the head of Sam Griffin at the back post, but Brearery did well to keep it out.

With a quarter of an hour left Evesham came close to getting on the scoresheet.

A long-ranged strike seemed destined for top bins, but Hamsworthy’s Kai Storr was able to get a fingertip to it to put it out for a corner.

With the 90 minutes all but up, the Robins were able to grab a consolation goal, O’Regan heading in Kyle Belmonte’s corner.

The result leaves Evesham in eighth place.

Their opponents on Saturday meanwhile sit in second, having not lost at home for three years.

The Robins will be back in action this Saturday, January 21, against Exmouth Town at home.

Two fixtures have also been rearranged due to recent postponements.

The away clash with Willand Rovers, originally set for December 10 but postponed due to a frozen pitch, has now been moved to Wednesday, January 25, at 7.30pm.

Wintry weather in December then caused the postponement of the following week’s fixture, a home tie with Larkhall Athletic.

This will now be played on Tuesday, February 7, at 7.45pm.