THE future is bright for Worcester Warriors as the under 18s defeated Saracens 29-17 at Sixways to claim third place in the Premiership Rugby Academy League.

Warriors, who finished second in the Northern Conference, kicked off proceedings in the third-place play-off and were in scintillating try-scoring form with Harry Spencer running in a hat-trick.

Spencer bagged the first score seven minutes in when he collected a looping pass on the nearside before sprinting half the length of the field to cross in the corner.

Fin Smith weathered the blustery conditions to smash home the touchline conversion.

Three minutes later the Londoners hit back through Francis Moore with the wing squeezing in at the corner after Sarries' heavies laid the platform with a string of marauding carries into Warriors’ 22.

Alex Cahill could not convert and Warriors led 7-5.

On 18 minutes playmaker Smith doubled Warriors’ tally as he gobbled up Ollie Wynn’s neat kick through to scoot in under the posts and convert his own score.

Warriors looked menacing with ball in hand throughout the first period with the likes of Tobi Wilson and captain Seb Atkinson turning defence into attack with a series of line breaks.

The only blot on the copy book was Wynn being carried off with what looked like an ankle injury five minutes before the interval.

With the last play of the half Terrell Harry reduced the deficit to 14-10 as he latched onto a loose ball at the lineout to burrow over.

Sarries came out for the second half with all guns blazing following a lengthy pep talk on the pitch at half-time and immediately put Warriors on the back foot but they stood firm.

Warriors’ solid defensive resolve was rewarded with Smith extending the lead with a penalty before Spencer went in for his second try after pouncing on Wilson’s dab through.

Smith’s conversion fell short but Warriors held the advantage at 22-10.

A Wilson Ijeh try on 50 minutes closed the gap with the talented wing powering his way over from close range.

However, Warriors struck back courtesy of Spencer who celebrated his hat-trick in style by taking Fin Morgan’s clever inside pass to touchdown and Smith’s radar boot increased Warriors’ lead to 29-17.

Sarries launched a wave of attacks to test Warriors’ defensive resistance and had a try chalked off for a forward pass but Mike Hall’s men were equal to the task and saw out the game to secure a well-earned triumph.

Warriors: Mann; Evans, Spencer, Atkinson, Wilson; Smith, Wynn; Reeve, Richardson, Rowley, Lane, Hagen, Murphy, Thomas, Lewis. Replacements: Lilley, Marsden, Hayler, Morgan, Wilding.