SHOTS were fired in an Evesham cul-de-sac on Sunday while young children played just metres away.

In a scene rarely experienced in Evesham armed police and dogs were called to the residential area after people heard between three and six shots being fired.

The reported shooting took place around 11.55am on Sunday in Summerfield Gardens in Hampton, Evesham.

A man, Aaron Saunders, aged 20, of Summerfield Gardens, was arrested at the scene and charged on Monday with possession of an imitation firearm in a public place.

Neighbours said they initially believed someone had been shot as a result of the incident but there were no reported injuries.

And children were also left frightened to play in the street after the event, which they were just metres away from.

One mum, who the Journal is not naming, said her 11-year-old son was playing in Summerfield Gardens at the time of the shooting.

"My little lad was playing outside, he came rushing in to say there was police outside so we went to have a look," she said.

"I looked outside and it started off with one police car, then a dog wagon arrived. Three other patrol cares came and there was an armed response.

"I was thinking what is going on. I saw a lad in his 20s cuffed and he got into the car. But I didn't hear the shots being fired.

"My lad didn't go back out again because he was quite scared, and I didn't want him to go either. I am not a nervous, jittery person, but my child playing out there is a worry, but it has been a worry for a while.

"He is really scared now, he said, 'I don't want to go back out there today' and there was a high police presence once it was finished.

"It's shocking. I do think they need to step it up back there."

But other neighbours did hear the shots being fired.

Paul Cope, of Summerfield Gardens, said: "I hear the noise. There were like three or four shots. I was doing my washing and I heard the shots, it sounded like a shot gun.

"Then I saw some police cars and van and then I saw the officer with his gun. The police officer came and I said I only heard the shots and some swearing."

Another mother, Anna White, was in the garden with her seven-year-old son.

She said: "I was out in the garden with my son, I though it was a gun for shooting birds so I didn't take much notice. I've lived round here all my life, you don't expect it in your road.

"I think there was about five or six shots. Then all the riot vans turned up. I just came in when I saw all the police activity, I thought best to keep out of it."

Police were back in the area on Monday but had left by midday.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police on 101 quoting reference 0303S 220614.

Saunders was released on police bail on Monday and is due to appear at Worcester Magistrates' Court on Friday, July 11.