Rain denies title-chasing Worcestershire again on travels

6:38pm Wednesday 4th June 2014

WORCESTERSHIRE suffered more weather frustration as lengthy rain spells on the final day meant their LV= County Championship match with Surrey at the Kia Oval was doomed to finish as a draw.

Only 41 overs in three short sessions were possible today as Surrey, who followed on 270 runs behind, closed on 240-5 with former County player Steve Davies hitting 77.

Promotion-chasing Worcestershire collected 12 points from the game to consolidate second position in Division Two behind Hampshire, who visit New Road for a top-of-the-table clash starting on Sunday.

But the County will be left to reflect again on what might have been before the elements intervened.

They have won their three home matches but all four away fixtures with Hampshire, Glamorgan, Kent and now Surrey have been severely curtailed when in the driving seat.

Steve Rhodes' side outplayed Surrey in all departments, scoring consistently down the batting order and then bowling in the disciplined fashion which has been their trademark this season as they gained maximum bowling points for the seventh successive match.

After the loss of the morning session through rain, Surrey resumed on 111-3 - a deficit of 159 with 72 overs remaining.

Only 4.3 overs were possible before another downpour led to the loss of six more.

Charlie Morris made the first breakthrough of the day when Zafar Ansari (62) was deceived by a deliberate slower ball and lobbed a simple catch to Saeed Ajmal at mid-on with the total on 136.

Davies, who left Worcestershire five years ago, reached his 50 with an eighth boundary off 108 balls.

Worcestershire continued to probe away under increasingly leaden skies but almost inevitably the rain returned in greater volumes than before with the total on 173-4 off 67 overs.

The players came out for a final 20 overs at 4.45pm and Moeen Ali had Davies caught behind by keeper Ben Cox attempting to cut after adding 66 with Jason Roy (45 not out).

The second new ball was taken as a last throw of the dice by the visitors but Surrey survived and the two teams shook hands with three overs remaining.


© Copyright 2001-2017 Newsquest Media Group

Evesham Journal: Site Logo http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/trade_directory/